Action plan to become more energy efficient:

• Use power strips as opposed to individual outlets where possible and make sure to turn off power strip when not in use.
  • Invest in buying glasses, mugs, and plates instead of using plastic cups and paper plates.
  • Add new insulation to prevent cold drafts and air leaks to keep warm air inside during the winter and cold air inside during the summer.
  • Carpool to work when possible.
  • Replace aluminum window frames with vinyl ones, which are more resistant to heat transfer.
  • Use sunlight during the daytime instead of lightbulbs.
  • Replace the leaky faucet in the downstairs bathroom.
  • Defrost the freezer to decrease the amount of energy needed.
  • Replace old appliances, which are less energy efficient than new ones.
        - Research which appliances are most energy efficient.
        - Get low-flow fixtures and appliances.
  • Only do full loads of laundry and dishes.
  • Keep water heater at 120 degrees - 140 degrees.
  • When leaving for vacation, unplug all appliances.
  • Use rechargable batteries.
  • Remove name from mailing lists for reading materials I do not need and go paperless with bank statements.
  • Use small toaster oven as opposed to a large conventional oven for smaller meals.
  • Make big meals so that there are leftovers and use the microwave to heat leftovers up because reheating uses less energy than cooking the meal for the first time.
  • Get higher efficiency furnace that will use less gas, be hotter, and have less carbon emissions.
  • Change air filters in furnace so that it is easier for the air to circulate.
  • Close heat vents in rooms I do not use frequently.
  • Add a programmable thermostat so I can program the heat to shut off when I leave the house and turn on when I get home.
  • Leave a water bucket outside t collect rain water and use the rain water to water plants.
  • Switch from incandescent to flourescent lightbulbs.
  • Use solar panels.
  • Plant a tree outside in the front of the house where the house get the most intense sun during the summer to create a natural way to cool the house.
  • Take advantage of tax incentives for energy efficient home improvements available through the federal government.
        - Allows for up to 30% of cost of home improvements up to a          
          maximum of 
    $1,500.