In describing this project to friends I would use one word to start: RESPONSIBILITY!  It is our responsibility to become more efficient and productive in our energy needs and uses.  There's no excuse for not trying to help our planet.  Every little bit helps.  I would tell them that this project is a small step in trying to solve a big problem.  I would describe it as a simple method to determine how they can save energy and money at the same time.

This experience taught me some simple but effective ways to assess the energy use (and wastes!) that take place in my home.  It also enlightened me to how big this problem really is.  When I reflected on how much energy was wasted in my small home, I tried to multiply that estimate to scale.  There are millions of homes just like mine, throughout the United States.  Worldwide there are millions and millions more!  When I think of how much we could reduce our use if everyone across the globe gave a little effort, I was overwhelmed.

I used this project to focus on my energy use at home.  Specifically my home.  I'm now working with family members to do the same in their homes.  If everyone could help one or two family members with this process, the web of energy efficiency would grow exponentially!  I am also now trying to start a basic assessment at work too.  We can save energy everywhere!

My favorite aspect of this project was getting my utility bills after implementing changes to my family's energy use.  Just kidding, but it definitely made me feel good!  I really enjoyed improving my home and learning about how much I could reduce energy usage by taking small, seemingly (but very significant) inconsequential steps.  It isn't a tough task to make your home a more environmentally friendly place.  

I risked having my pregnant wife trying to kill me in my sleep a few times during this project when I turned off the TV or adjusted the thermostat :).  Kidding again.  There really were no risks with this project.  That's one of the greatest parts of it...it's safe and easy to save energy!

The biggest problem I encountered was getting the time and money together to address some of the inefficiencies in my home.  New technology costs money up front, but I know that I will realize the recuperation of those expenses in energy savings within the year.  

If I could do it over again, I would not change anything with this project.  It was informative, rewarding and enlightening all in one process.

I would actually like to learn even more detail on the topics and categories I worked with so as to help others with this task.  I would even like to become so well versed and knowledgeable in this arena that I could work as a consultant in energy reduction and efficiency.