Based on my home energy audit, the three appliances that consume the most energy are the: Space Heater, Laptop and Television. All of these appliances are labeled, energy saver so they do consume less energy than a non-energy efficient appliance. However, as I found through research, an appliance that consumes a large amount of energy is not always the one that consumes the most wattage. Therefore, I realized that I must create a plan to use the appliances less, because I had fallen into the trap of thinking that just because the appliances are "energy saver" they can be run as long as you want. 

How to control the electricity used: 

In monitoring the amount of electricity used, I had created a plan to only use lights that were energy efficient. I replaced my incandescent bulbs with compact florenscent bulbs. This allowed me to use about 1/4 the wattage to receive the same lumination. Secondly, my family and I used only lighting in the rooms that we were in. We became very cognecent not to leave accent lights on, such as the ones in the living room. This was also the case for all appliances including the television, cable box, etc. 

How to control Leaking Electricty:

The solution to this issue was much easier than one thinks. To start, in the kitchen the stove and microwave are difficult to unplug, therefore, those are the two appliances that we would tell time from. All other appliances in the kitchen would be unplugged. In the other rooms, the cable boxes would be where we would keep track of time and all other appliances were either unplugged or turned to there full off position on the appliance itself, not using a remote like the t.v. The reason why the t.v. is switched off from the appliance itself and not the remote is because the remote just puts the t.v. into sleep mode, which will still consume electricity. Last, all chargers were only plugged in when needed. If the charge is plugged into the outlet, even without the device attached, then it will still use leaking electricity. 

How to reduce the use of heating: 

To reduce my use of oil for home heating I purchased a energy saving space heater. However, as it was brought to my attention with the home energy audit, I was paying more in electricity and rather than oil. Either way ii was still paying money for the heat and the non-renewable resource was being used in a different form. I then discovered Retrofitting and the use of thermodynamics to help reduce heating costs, while reducing the use of electricity. Insulating my windows with exterior insulating strips with assist in holding in hot are and preventing it from escaping. In addition, the foundation of the home was elevating to prevent flooding. However, the floor was exposed to the outside and was suseptible to catching wind. Research shows that up to 40 percent of wind entering a home is usually through the crawl space. Therefore, I will place space panels into the area and added linging to prevent wind. The lining being added can save 15 percent on heating, just by fixing the one area.

Lastly, I will seek to replace the windows with a "retrofit window" which would consist of a vinyl window with insulation inside and double pain windows to assist in limiting thermal transfer.